The Protection of Infancy's Garb

He was slowly drowning in air
He was fading away and he just didn't care
He knew somewhere in his heart
There had to be something better out there
Just out of reach, forever denied him
...or maybe not
...or maybe not

I recall we were friends
He and I raised some hell in the old days
At least I thought we were friends
He bought me beer and I gave him a ride home
He told me stories how his daddy would break down
How the old man had laid a burden on him
Something he never could tell anybody
How the pain brings a serious change
He knew, he said, from a very young age
He was cursed to be curious, different and strange
Perhaps that's why we got along so well
Both of us taking solace in each others' personal hell
Each others' highway to hell
Adjoining rooms in our different hells

There was a moment. There's always a moment.
He would think of every day for the rest of his life
It would haunt him until the day he chose to die
Some will say that he didn't even try
Some will say everything he ever said was a lie
...and I sometimes think those people are right
...and I won't deny it

A scarecrow hanging from a rope in the bedroom
Moon shines through an open window
Bathes the crow in the gleam of the moonlight's glow
Swinging back and forth as the spirit breeze blows
Just a scare crow, not so creepy
But what's it doing in the bedroom?
I gotta know
I gotta know

No comments:

Post a Comment